Thursday, June 7, 2012

What Can We Do for the Earth?

Glaciers are melting in Antarctica
Today, a story appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle about a new report in the scientific journal Nature about worsening environmental conditions on the Earth. It claims we are closer to a "tipping point," after which it will be much more difficult, if not impossible, to reverse these changes. It's not the first time I've heard this, and once again, I wonder what I can or should do about it.

How should we absorb this information? Yes, there are climate scientists (and some know-nothings) who claim it's all made up or a hoax. I don't think we can deny that changes are occurring. There's a lot of question as to when it will make a difference, though. If it's not ten years, maybe it's 50 or 100. In any case, why not do something about it right now?

I think that, despite the clear and obvious problems, we simply don't want to deal with it. I recognize in myself a distinct urge to think happy thoughts about my next orchestra concert--or meal--or nap. It's hard to imagine any real major shifts in a world we have always taken for granted.

But I'm worried, and I want to do something.

But what? When? How?

No comments: