Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Here Comes Summer

At this moment, Summer 2012 has officially begun. What will it be like? From the perspective of June 20, it's a big question mark for me.

Being between jobs adds to the uncertainty. While I aggressively prospect for my next opportunity, and the mercury rises and the sun shines for 14 hours a day, I take some comfort in remembering how I've solved this dilemma effectively before.

The secret: Treat your job search like a job. Up at 5:20 a.m. At "work" before 7 a.m. Then, don't knock off until dinner time.

I remember this feeling every year as a kid. School was over and it was hot coming home with an armload of books. Then, in early June, it was suddenly over. I had long days to do whatever I wanted to do. But I squandered it--being a kid. If I knew then what I know now I would have appreciated that open time much more--and worked harder to become a better musician.

Hoping for success as the Summer Solstice begins.

No comments: