Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Ramona Bar -- Candy Heaven

I remember when I was a kid, you'd open up a candy bar and it tasted wonderful. They were bigger then, and cost a nickel. I recall sitting with a Snickers of a Milky Way for a long time, nibbling away at its chocolate, nuts, and caramel.

Today, the bars are smaller, and maybe I'm just jaded, but they don't seem to taste as good.

So, when I heard about the Ramona bar, a supercharged, all-natural, top-quality version of the classic Snickers, I jumped at it.

In 2008, Double Dutch Sweets opened in Oakland, California to deliver super-quality candy. They targeted the Snickers, but used the finest chocolate, nuts and other ingredients they could find. They make the bars by hand and have a limited distribution network (although you can order then online).

Last night, my wife and I each sampled one. It was a little challenging breaking into the tightly-sealed wrapper, which, now that I think of it, was more like the form-fitted wrappers of the past and not one of today's machine-sealed plastic envelopes. The aroma of the chocolate burst forth, and with the first bite, I remembered that feeling of the perfect, intense flavor of a real candy bar.

About halfway through, I had actually had enough--they're so rich--but I carried on anyway. I'll have to be careful, because these treasures, despite weighing just 1.8 ounces, are $6 apiece. But they are worth it--for the occasional special treat.


No comments: