Thursday, January 5, 2012

Where Do the Lost Things Go?

It seemed easy enough. Just take a photo and then upload it to my computer. But--what happened to the little gray USB cable? It's only sat in the same spot on my work table for the last several years. But it was nowhere to be found.

I tried looking again and still nothing. Who could/would have taken it? Did I move it for some reason? Did it fall behind something? I looked again. I even tried a borrowed cable--it didn't work.

I had this issue not long ago with my debit card. I remember the sense of disbelief that something you were just using has simply disappeared. With the card, I had to cancel the old one and get a new one--a minor inconvenience. I actually had forgotten about it until now.

A house full of clutter is a great place for an item to go AWOL. My father kept his house (and workshop) perfectly organized so he didn't have this problem. In my rebellion against his perfect order (long ago) I became only semi-organized, and now I'm paying the price.

Next stop? A computer or camera store to see if I can find a replacement cable that'll work. Then, of course, I'll turn up the old one. At that point, I'll remember the day I moved it (or something like that).

Oh well, it's not exactly a serious illness or unemployment or some other crisis. So I'm going to let it go (or try to) as I head out into my day. Now where did I put that pencil?


No comments: