Monday, November 14, 2011

Slow Internet Drives Me Nuts

We have certain expectations these 21st-century days of 2011. One of them is instant access to information, and if the Internet drags, for whatever reason, it seems somehow patently unfair.

I remember back when there was no online connection for most of us and we got along fine. We visited libraries, patronized bookstores, and even sent letters. We picked up the phone or went to visit people. But now, if I can't read my emails immediately, it seems somehow like the worst torture devised in the history of the world (see cartoon).

I don't think it's just me, but it feels like being stuck in traffic when you've got to be at an appointment. And that may be the same problem--too many people on the same road. I'm also becoming more and more convinced that AT&T U-Verse is not the best way to access the Internet.

Update: This couldn't be posted at 7 a.m. today because of ... a slow Internet connection. On the drive to work, I heard Gordon Lightfoot's song, Too Late for Praying, and realized that if a slow Internet connection is my worst problem today, I'm one of the luckiest people on earth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The world has changed so much, along with the lifestyle that we are familiar with, that it’s now hard to look back on the days when internet wasn’t considered a necessity. It’s totally understandable to be frustrated when internet is slow or unavailable, as we depend on it nowadays for work and entertainment.

Jannette Britt @ T Link Broadband Services

Unknown said...

Well, the Internet has triggered a change in our lifestyles. It brought a lot of improvements and convenience that we find it a necessity to be connected most times. So yeah, I get what you’re saying. And it’s definitely not just you who think of those vile thoughts when internet is unavailable or agonizingly slow. Haha! Here's to having a fast connection, always! Cheers!

Clara Brooks @ Telco World